Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 25 minutes
Servings: 6-8 waffles
3 cups alternative milk of choice
4 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
3 ½ cups all-purpose flour, spooned & leveled
½ cup almond flour, spooned & leveled
2 scoops Ascent Chocolate Plant Protein
2 tablespoons baking powder
2 tablespoons light brown sugar or coconut sugar, packed
1 tablespoon ground ginger
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
¼ teaspoon ground cloves½ cup (1 stick) unsalted vegan butter, melted
1 cup dairy-free semi-sweet mini chocolate chips
For ToppingMaple syrup, vegan butter, seasonal fruit, nuts, or whipped coconut cream
- To a small mixing bowl add milk and apple cider vinegar. Whisk to combine and set aside for 5 minutes to activate.
- To a large mixing bowl add all-purpose flour, almond flour, Ascent Chocolate Plant Protein, baking powder, sugar, ginger, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, and ground cloves. Whisk to combine.
- Add milk mixture and melted butter to the dry ingredients. Whisk until just combined (the batter will look a bit lumpy and that’s ok).
- Use a spatula to fold mini chocolate chips into the batter.
- Cook the waffles in batches in a preheated waffle iron that has been coated with cooking spray. (Note, we used a Belgian waffle maker and used 1 cup batter per batch).
- Place waffles on a baking sheet and place into the oven to keep warm while you make the other waffles.
- Serve warm with desired toppings.
- Place cooked waffles in a freezer friendly container and bag. Place in the freezer and reheat in the oven or place in a toaster for a quick and easy breakfast on-the-go!